Dr. Robert Boykin has recently published a chapter examining surgery for suprascapular nerve release while treating rotator cuff tears. The suprascapular nerve provides innervation to two of the most commonly torn rotator cuff muscles (supraspinatus and infraspinatus) and in certain rotator cuff injuries may require arthroscopic release at the time of rotator cuff surgery to provide the best possible outcome.
Click here for more information: Fritz E.M., Katthagen J.C., Boykin R.E., Millett P.J. (2018) Suprascapular Nerve Release with Rotator Cuff Tears. In: McMahon P. (eds) Rotator Cuff Injuries. Springer, Cham
Dr. Boykin has published extensively on the subjects of suprascapular nerve injury and rotator cuff injuries including the following:
- Menge TJ, Byram IR, Boykin RE, Bushnell BD. Labrum and rotator cuff injuries in the throwing athlete. Phys Sportsmed. 2015 Feb;43(1):65-72.
- Shi LL, Boykin RE, Lin A, Warner JJ. Association of suprascapular neuropathy with rotator cuff tendon tears and fatty degeneration. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014 Mar;23(3):339-46. 2013 Sep 20.
- Boykin RE, Friedman DJ, Zimmer ZR, Oaklander AL, Warner JP. Suprascapular neuropathy in a shoulder referral practice. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2011 Jan 28.
- Boykin RE, Friedman DJ, Higgins LD, Warner JP. Suprascapular neuropathy: current concepts review. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Oct 6;92(13):2348-64.
- Boykin RE, Heuer HJ, Vaishnav S, Millet PJ. Rotator cuff disease – basics of diagnosis and treatment. Rheumatology Reports. 2010 Vol 2 (1): e1.